Monday, January 30, 2012

Oxford, Mississippi

  Fay and I had the opportunity yesterday to go on one of our quick adventures. Where is a place we haven't been? Hmmm, how about Oxford, Mississippi? Fantastic! Let's go!


  Our very good friends Christian and Lisa Harrison who own Frameblender Films and Dear Little Films live down that way and we haven't seen them in seemingly forever.


  It was a crisp, but sunny day as we drove down from Memphis. Really, it was unseasonably warm for January in these parts, but Fay and I weren't complaining.


  We first checked out the campus of Ole Miss. How beautiful. It looked like every building had just been built or renovated. Everything we saw looked brand new. Afterward, we started looking for lunch so we meandered to the downtown square.


  The square seemed very busy for a Sunday. Maybe it was the pleasant, sunny weather. We looked for lunch at Bouré and the Ajax Diner, which were highly recommended to us, but both were closed for the day. We ended up at Abner's which is a chain restaurant, but a very good one nonetheless.


  We had a little time to explore before Christian and Lisa were free to meet up, so I looked up the location for William Faulkner's home, Rowan Oak on the iPhone and we made our way over to it. Fay and I trekked the grounds (which is free, by the way), made a few photos, and left several people, most likely U of M students, back with their books and cameras.


  Exploring the town a little further, Fay and I came upon a cemetery. I saw a historic register sign in the distance. All I could make out from that distance, was the name, William Faulkner at the top of the sign. I pulled the truck into the cemetery and got out with my camera. I walked back to the sign and from there was able to locate the author's gravesite.


  Fay and I finally met up with Christian and Lisa at High Point Coffee, just off the square and sat and talked for two hours catching up on what had happened since we were all last together. (Poor Fay was freezing as we were sitting outside and the sun had dropped low in the sky and was rapidly disappearing.)


  All in all, the trip was very enjoyable and I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. I'll be certain to take more photos next time of the Ole Miss campus and trek through Mr. Faulkner's home at length; and hopefully, those highly recommended restaurants will be open.


LaFayette County Courthouse in the middle of the downtown square.

Rowan Oak, William Faulkner's home. 



Faulkner gravesite with several tokens of respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment